Evaluating the Portfolio
Government agencies often have such large portfolios of initiatives that it can be difficult to recognize duplications in service, resolve inefficiencies, and apply lessons learned across the enterprise.
KeyLogic can help your agency develop a clear understanding of your overall portfolio, pinpoint overlaps and weak points, and assess the value of potential projects to make informed choices. Where you may be experiencing cost or schedule overruns or not delivering desired functionality because of inadequate planning, KeyLogic Project Management Professionals (PMPs) and Earned Value Professionals (EVPs) can help reset the course and improve performance at the project level.
Rather than selling or promoting a particular product, KeyLogic project and portfolio analysts have a breadth of knowledge of project management tools that government agencies already use—including Microsoft Project, e-CPIC, and Primavera. We bring broad institutional knowledge gathered from applying solutions across a wide range of agencies. Going a step farther, KeyLogic promotes meetings between our client organizations so that they can collaborate and learn from each other.
Most federal agencies are required by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to perform Earned Value Management (EVM) and Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC)—two of KeyLogic’s strong performance management offerings.
- Earned Value Management. EVM measures cost, work, and schedule performance to objectively quantify the value received. Using EVM methodologies, KeyLogic can help your agency to identify problems and potential problems early on, preventing them from escalating out of control. We use EVM to compare performance against schedule and budget, to compare projects against each other, and to predict future performance.
- Capital Planning and Investment Control. CPIC is a three-phased approach to managing IT investments.
- Select phase. KeyLogic will help your agency improve its decision-making by examining the portfolio for a budget year and evaluating prioritizing projects based on objective criteria.
- Control phase. KeyLogic will help your agency keep your selected projects on course by tracking performance against cost and schedule monthly and quarterly.
- Evaluate phase. KeyLogic works to ensure that data from post-implementation reviews is put into play across the portfolio and in future work cycles.
To learn more about how KeyLogic’s Performance Management and Earned Value Management services can help your agency improve its overall performance, please contact us today at 888.204.9649.